Sunday, August 19, 2012

A $75 Pirate Party Challenge

If you know me, you know that I love to craft and there's no better reason to craft then holidays and birthday parties.

Dax is going to turn 3 in 2 short weeks and I have promised him a pirate party. We have flirted with all kinds of ideas from our favorite indoor play area, to splash pads, community centers and more, but with just moving and the expenses of a new baby an a homebirth, money is tight. So I've decided to challenge myself.

I'm going to work from scratch on everything and use as much stuff as I can from around the house to make the decor, games, etc. I've given myself a $75 budget ad I will post my progress and spending as I go. :)

Our original guest list was 16 kids, which means about the same amount of parents, and there is no way I can host that many people on such a small budget, so last night I told Dax that since he's turning 3, he may invite 3 girls and 3 boys. It took him a good amount of time and a lot of thinking to pick out the 6 kids he wanted most, but we are both pleased with his choices.

So, I started to get to work. My first thought for invitations was a message in a bottle, but with the party only being 2 weeks from today, I need to get these invites in the mail and can't wait until I see people around town to give them their invites. So I pulled out the pirate invitations that I bought in the dollar bins at target months ago, with the intention of return them when is started crafting and had a better plan.

I spent a couple of hours hand writing them and drawing on them to give them lots of character. There's a photo below.

Starting budget....$75
Invites....$1
Remaining budget....$74

1 comment: